WUNC Radio provides quality news, information and entertainment programming to a broad listening audience that includes North Carolina, the United States and the world. WUNC serves North Carolina from Greensboro to the Outer Banks through a network of seven stations.
The Position: The position is responsible for reporting including quick turn-around spot news, interviews, reporter debriefs, and well researched feature reports for broadcast and digital. The Fletcher Fellow will have a close relationship with faculty advisor(s) in the UNC Chapel Hill Hussman School of Journalism and Media and will report to the Feature News Editor for North Carolina Public Radio WUNC.
This is an 18 month appointment.
As news events do not conform to a regular 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. schedule, there will be times when the reporter will be called on for work during weekends and after hours.
The Candidate: The reporter will be a UNC Chapel Hill Hussman School of Journalism and Media graduate with strong journalism and communications skills who understands the importance of disseminating information to a broad and diverse listening audience.
Leading candidates will have:
- Experience being edited in a collaborative newsroom
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Knowledge of radio broadcasting equipment, including digital editing, broadcast operating boards, phone screening systems and portable recording devices
- A familiarity with North Carolina and education policy issues is strongly preferred
- Excellent on-air delivery
- Demonstrated ability to plan and meet deadlines, working with materials from a variety of sources and collaborators
- Creativity and initiative
- Ability to interact effectively with colleagues
Interested applicants must apply at: https://unc.peopleadmin.com/postings/251789
Candidates should be prepared to attach a current resume and cover letter. The deadline to apply is 03/31/2023.
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.