Your Public Radio is the public radio service for Baltimore, Central Maryland, and the Eastern Shore. We are WYPR (NPR News) and WTMD (AAA music) and we are looking for our new Director of Major Giving (DMG). The DMG will support Your Public Radio’s efforts to reach ambitious, transformative goals to sustain the growth of the station and broaden public radio programming in Maryland. This role will report to the Director of Development and work closely with the broader development team to identify, cultivate, steward, and solicit donors and prospects at the major gifts levels to fund the operations of the station, capital expenditures, special projects, and programming. The ideal individual is a detail-oriented self-starter with strong interpersonal skills and a passion for public radio. A background in Development and Major Giving is essential as well as knowledge of the overall giving community within Maryland.
- Support the development department in all aspects of qualifying, cultivating, stewarding, and soliciting transformative gifts to the station including but not limited to record keeping, research, customer service, writing, and event planning.
- Build and manage a strong caseload of relationships with current major donors and grow the major gifts program through strategic qualifying, cultivating, stewarding, and soliciting.
- Work with the Director of Development to recommend annual goals for major donors and reassess annually.
- Master and make use of all available tools as well as proven and documented methods in tracking major gifts through all steps in the donor’s relationship with WYPR & WTMD.
- Build upon the planned giving program with solicitations, mailings, events and in-person proposals to promote the overall program.
- Collaborate effectively across departments and with Your Public Radio’s Board of Directors using strong interpersonal skills. Those skills are critical as the DMG would work with board members, the development committee, and all departments at the station to attain the overall development fundraising goals.
- Collaborate with event staff to create stewardship opportunities for donors and prospects and support the visibility of Your Public initiatives by attending relevant events and networking opportunities.
- Strategically position station leaders for meetings with key donors, prospects, and community stakeholders.
- Act as a station representative/ambassador at most Your Public Radio functions.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education or experience.
- Minimum of 10 years of proven success in attaining established fundraising goals and growing major philanthropic gifts in a development operation.
- Passion for Your Public Radio and public media in general
- Ability to adeptly manage multiple, large-scale projects at once and to prioritize competing deadlines.
- Excellent writing and editing skills, including strong oral communication skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft 365 and experience with a CRM database.
- Proven understanding and use of the moves management process.
- Organized, flexible, and proactive with meticulous attention to detail.
- Must be able attend WYPR events on weekends and evenings.
- Candidates must demonstrate a willingness and ability to support a diverse and inclusive environment.
- Change/Adaptability/Flexibility: Adapts to change that benefits Your Public Radio, is open to new ideas, takes on new responsibilities, handles pressure, adjusts plans to meet changing needs.
- Communication: Communicates well both verbally and in writing, promptly shares information and ideas with others throughout the organization as appropriate, has active listening skills, can negotiate and persuade as needed.
- Results Focus/Initiative: Targets and achieves results, sets challenging goals, prioritizes tasks, overcomes obstacles, accepts accountability, sets high standards and takes responsibility, provides leadership/motivation.
- Collaboration: Working collaboratively with others to solve problems, achieve common goals and positive results. Listens to others and values opinions. Is open with other team members and expresses disagreement constructively. Seeks opportunities to work on teams to develop experience and knowledge.
Observes work rules and practices covered during the orientation process and practices appropriate conduct as outlined in the Your Public Radio Handbook.
Your Public Radio offers a competitive benefits package.
Candidates can also apply with cover letter and resume by mail to: Business Manager, 2216 N. Charles St., Baltimore., MD 21218. Your Public Radio is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we are seeking and welcome diverse candidates. Open until filled. No phone calls, please.
The mission of Your Public Radio Corporation is to inform, connect and even challenge the listeners we serve in the metropolitan Baltimore area and the State of Maryland by broadcasting programs of intellectual integrity and cultural merit to provide an unbiased perspective of the events of today and to enrich the minds and spirits of our audience.