WYPR 88.1 FM, Baltimore’s NPR radio station, seeks a full-time producer for On the Record. On the Record, hosted by Sheilah Kast, is a daily morning program that covers a variety of topics featuring the local business people, public officials, scholars, artists, authors, and journalists who are experts on the issues. Some shows spend the half-hour exploring one topic with one guest; other shows cover two distinct or related topics with multiple guests. There are also occasional live broadcasts, when the news calls for speedy reaction. The producer will work with the host and staff members to plan, research, book, record, edit and post a taped-daily current affairs show. Members of the On the Record team work closely to bring listeners thoughtful and timely analysis of politics, healthcare, the arts, science, education and more. We are dedicated to bringing a diverse group of voices to air to equitably address these issues.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Develop show ideas; propose topics and guests
- Book interviews
- Pre-interview guests
- Provide the host with background research on topics, guests, and potential story ideas
- With the host, write air-ready scripts, billboards, and promos that are informative and imaginative
- Record interviews in-studio and by Zoom
- Edit and mix interviews using Adobe Audition
- Post the show to audio and web platforms
- Work with the host and WYPR’s senior management to imagine new and inventive ways to serve our listeners, and the community at large
- At least 2+ years of experience in journalism or broadcast production
- Passion for connecting with diverse audiences
- Curiosity that leads to producing engaging stories and finding the guests to realize them
- Experience with producing a daily news broadcast
- Experience editing audio using Adobe Audition or similar software
- Excellent writing skills, superb news judgment, great discernment and high
- Able to react quickly and steadily when breaking news requires
- Able to coordinate the many details associated with a daily news broadcast
- Comfortable in a highly collaborative, detail oriented, deadline-driven environment
- Change/Adaptability/Flexibility: Adapts to change that benefits Your Public Radio, is open to new ideas, takes on new responsibilities, handles pressure, adjusts plans to meet changing needs.
- Communication: Communicates well both verbally and in writing, promptly shares information and ideas with others throughout the organization as appropriate, has active listening skills, can negotiate and persuade as needed.
- Results Focus/Initiative: Targets and achieves results, sets challenging goals, prioritizes tasks, overcomes obstacles, accepts accountability, sets high standards and takes responsibility, provides leadership/motivation.
- Collaboration: Working collaboratively with others to solve problems, achieve common goals and positive results. Listens to others and values opinions. Is open with other team members and expresses disagreement constructively. Seeks opportunities to work on teams as a means to develop experience and knowledge.
Knowledge and Competencies:
- Identification with the mission and purpose of Your Public Radio.
- Meticulous sense of detail.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks.
- Active communication and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work with a wide range of staff and activities.
- Working knowledge of Your Public Radio programming and the services of the network is preferred.
Professionalism: Observes work rules and practices covered during the orientation process and practices appropriate conduct as outlined in the Your Public Radio Handbook.
WYPR offers a competitive benefits package.
Candidates should submit a cover letter, resumé, and three to five links to samples of recent work. Please identify the role you played in the sample [i.e.: producer, writer, audio editor, etc.].
Minorities and women are encouraged to apply. WYPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Position open until filled. No phone calls, please.
WYPR is a long-standing, reliable source of news, captivating programming and community engagement in the greater Baltimore and Maryland region. The mission of Your Public Radio Corporation is to inform, connect and even challenge the listeners we serve in the metropolitan Baltimore area and the State of Maryland by broadcasting programs of intellectual integrity and cultural merit to provide an unbiased perspective of the events of today and to enrich the minds and spirits of our audience.