WYPR 88.1 FM is Baltimore’s NPR radio station. The live News Host will guide WYPR’s listeners through daily news programming in ways that are listener-focused, engaging, personable, and timely. They will be good company, an engaging guide, and let listeners know what’s happening each day in Baltimore and the world. The host delivers the highest public radio standards for presenting news, weather and produced content. The host will also create periodic content for broadcast and digital (e.g., fundraising, web, production and participating in live on-air fundraising), and fill in on other shifts as needed.
- Serve as on-air host and newscaster during assigned shifts adhering to all FCC regulations and WYPR standard operation procedures.
- Engage the audience in a genuine, authentic manner.
- Produces promotional and other content for WYPR.
- Serves as a fill-in host on other WYPR shifts when assigned.
- Participates in special news and interview programs, on-air fundraising, and station events.
- Assists and participates in live and recorded on-air fundraising.
- A minimum call of 50 hours per month.
Knowledge and Competencies:
- Identification with the mission and purpose of Your Public Radio.
- At least 3 years on-air and production experience in radio.
- Meticulous sense of detail.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks.
- Active communication and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work with a wide range of staff and activities.
- Working knowledge of Your Public Radio programming and the services of the network is preferred.
- Observes work rules and practices covered during the orientation process and practices appropriate conduct as outlined in the Your Public Radio Handbook.
- Access to a personal vehicle highly desired.
- Change/Adaptability/Flexibility: Adapts to change that benefits Your Public Radio, is open to new ideas, takes on new responsibilities, handles pressure, adjusts plans to meet changing needs.
- Communication: Communicates well both verbally and in writing, promptly shares information and ideas with others throughout the organization as appropriate, has active listening skills, can negotiate and persuade as needed.
- Results Focus/Initiative: Targets and achieves results, sets challenging goals, prioritizes tasks, overcomes obstacles, accepts accountability, sets high standards and takes responsibility, provides leadership/motivation.
- Collaboration: Working collaboratively with others to solve problems, achieve common goals and positive results. Listens to others and values opinions. Is open with other team members and expresses disagreement constructively. Seeks opportunities to work on teams as a means to develop experience and knowledge.
Professionalism: Observes work rules and practices covered during the orientation process and practices appropriate conduct as outlined in the Your Public Radio Handbook.
Applications can also be mailed to Business Manager, WYPR, 2216 N. Charles Street, Baltimore, MD 21218.
Minorities and women are encouraged to apply. WYPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Position open until filled. No phone calls, please.
The Organization: WYPR is a long-standing, reliable source of news, captivating programming and community engagement in the greater Baltimore and Maryland region. The mission of Your Public Radio Corporation is to inform, connect and even challenge the listeners we serve in the metropolitan Baltimore area and the State of Maryland by broadcasting programs of intellectual integrity and cultural merit to provide an unbiased perspective of the events of today and to enrich the minds and spirits of our audience.