Supervising Producer for Midday with Tom Hall
Members of the Midday team work closely with the Host and other staff to advance the mission of serving Midday listeners with timely and informative broadcasts, podcasts and in-person events that contribute to the public discourse about a variety of issues, hold newsmakers and decision makers accountable, and which enlighten, entertain and enliven people across the spectrum of race, gender, age and ethnicity.
The three pillars of Midday’s mission are:
1. Explore a diverse array of topics
2. Present a diverse group of voices
3. Present information that is accurate, timely and credibly sourced
Supervising Producer (Full-time position with attractive benefit package)
Reports To: Host of Midday
WYPR 88.1 FM, Baltimore's NPR radio station, seeks a full-time Supervising Producer. In conjunction with the Host and other members of the staff, the Supervising Producer will plan and oversee the coordination of five, one-hour shows per week, and reconfigure content that can be re-aired when necessary. Some shows will spend the hour exploring one topic while other shows will be in a magazine format, in which two or three topics are included. There will also be special broadcasts, (i.e., live election coverage), and the coordination with outside vendors to produce live and pre-recorded in-person broadcasts.
Responsibilities and Duties
• Coordinate the work of a small staff and ensure that the programmatic and technical aspects of the show and website are executed correctly and in a timely manner.
• Coordinate and oversee the selection of topics and guests for daily segments
• Provide the host with background research on topics, guests, and potential story ideas
• Pre-interview guests as necessary
• In conjunction with the host, write air-ready scripts, billboards and promos that are informative and imaginative
• Answer phones and communicate social media and e mails to the host during live shows
• Prepare a daily rundown of each show
• Coordinate Midday’s social media outreach and explore ways to engage listeners on a variety of platforms
• Train and supervise interns and contract employees
• Create occasional enterprise Midday features
• Coordinate special, public broadcasts
• Work with the Host and WYPR’s Senior Management to imagine new and inventive ways to serve our listeners, and the community at large
• At least 4+ years of experience in Journalism or Broadcast Production
• Able to motivate staff members and maintain high production values
• Passion for connecting with diverse audiences
• Experience with the many details associated with the production of a daily news broadcast
• Excellent writing skills, superb news judgement, great discernment and embracing the highest standards of journalism and journalistic ethics
• Able to react quickly and steadily when breaking news requires a sudden pivot from something that had been previously planned
• Able to coordinate the many details associated with the production of a daily news broadcast
• Must be comfortable in a highly collaborative, detail oriented, deadline-driven environment
Candidates should submit a cover letter, resumé, three writing samples, two references, and two audio samples of produced interviews. Applications can also be mailed to Business Manager, WYPR, 2216 N. Charles St., Baltimore, MD 21218. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply. WYPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Open until filled.
No phone calls, please.
WYPR is a long-standing, reliable source of news, captivating programming and community engagement in the greater Baltimore and Maryland region.
The mission of Your Public Radio Corporation is to inform, connect and even challenge the listeners we serve in the metropolitan Baltimore area and the State of Maryland by broadcasting programs of intellectual integrity and cultural merit to provide an unbiased perspective of the events of today and to enrich the minds and spirits of our audience.