GBH News is transforming into one cohesive, audience-focused, multiplatform news organization that tells the most interesting and distinctive local stories of the day. Our journalism is infused and informed by the diverse communities we serve. We are among the fastest-growing local news providers in Greater Boston and draw on the talent of a multiplatform newsroom that includes radio (89.7 FM); television (Ch. 2); and digital reporting. Our goal -- through in-depth, high-quality journalism -- is to inform, educate, and enlighten our audience and build a collaborative newsroom culture.
GBH news journalists are not voyeurs but participants in the greater Boston community. We are citizens of the region and guided by a foundation-wide DEIA (diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility) framework that centers on treating our colleagues and the communities we serve with dignity and respect, even when telling the most complex stories. We are thoughtful stewards of public trust and also seek to foster that same trust in our own newsroom. We aim to be good neighbors and colleagues and do no harm, and rebuild trust when harm has been done. Equitable, collaborative, responsible journalism is at the core of all we do.
A core staple of our local journalism is listening and collaboration, and we constantly have our ears to the ground in our local neighborhoods and networks throughout our region. We are deeply devoted to listening and understanding — to the community and also to each other on staff — paying close attention to historically underserved, under-included, and overlooked populations inside of our newsroom and in the community. We show up. Not just for the story or assignment but for everything before, after, and in between.
- Create and publish impactful and distinctive content across various platforms, including web, radio, digital video, and social media.
- Host and organize listening sessions throughout the Commonwealth in collaboration with GBH News journalists and community partners. Establish and maintain genuine relationships with attendees to source story ideas whenever possible.
- Utilize data analysis to identify communities disproportionately affected by equity and opportunity gaps across the Commonwealth.
- Develop effective strategies to engage marginalized groups in our journalism.
- Build and nurture a network of reliable and diverse sources to enrich coverage and perspectives.
- Collaborate with GBH newsroom leadership to create and distribute new content that amplifies the voices of the community.
- Stay actively engaged in non-GBH community events to establish new relationships and discover potential story ideas.
- Craft and produce newsletters and leverage various digital tools to engage new audiences and solicit input for coverage ideas.
In this role, you will be a vital part of our team, leading with cultural consciousness, empathy, and high emotional intelligence and contributing to the deepening of our engagement with communities across the Commonwealth. Your expertise in convening events and programs centered in collaborative journalism will be essential in producing content that amplifies community voices and addresses systemic issues.
- Demonstrates strong news judgment and possesses a deep understanding of the elements that constitute a compelling story.
- Exhibits a strong commitment to journalistic ethics and integrity.
- Comfortably handles both short- and long-term deadlines while effectively prioritizing competing tasks.
- Proficiently produces content for web and social media platforms, enhancing audience engagement.
- Proficient in shooting and editing photos and digital video, contributing to multimedia storytelling.
- Outstanding communication skills with a proven track record of successful collaboration across diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Proficiency in managing data sets and leveraging data to drive audience engagement and facilitate journalism-centered events.
- Proficiency in speaking more than one language is a valuable asset.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience required
2-3 years experience as a journalist
2+ years of experience cultivating or booking diverse sources
Experience hosting/convening community-focused events and/or listening sessions
Boston, MA/1 Guest Street