GBH News is transforming into one cohesive, audience-focused, multiplatform news organization that tells the most interesting and distinctive local stories of the day. Our journalism is infused and informed by the diverse communities we serve. We are among the fastest-growing local news providers in Greater Boston and draw on the talent of a multiplatform newsroom that includes radio (89.7 FM); television (Ch. 2); and digital reporting. Our goal -- through in-depth, high-quality journalism -- is to inform, educate, and enlighten our audience and build a collaborative newsroom culture.
The American Dream is unreachable and far out of focus for too many in one of the wealthiest nations in the world and in one of this country’s wealthiest states. As its population diversifies, equity gaps in Massachusetts are also growing, especially along fault lines of race and class.
GBH News is deepening its capacity to report on systemic barriers disproportionately blocking marginalized communities from thriving in the Commonwealth with the creation of a new Equity & Justice reporting unit that is steeped in community engagement, data, and a focus on both problems and solutions. This unit will operate alongside and in collaboration with other tentpole areas of focus in our newsroom -- politics and civic engagement, education, investigations and impact, and long-form feature storytelling.
- Conceptualize, pitch, and report a consistent stream of enterprise stories, focusing on issues of equity and justice in Massachusetts. This includes producing 3-4 stories weekly and 2 longer-form multimedia features each month, with a keen eye on addressing both problems and solutions.
- Build and nurture a network of dependable and diverse sources to enhance reporting capabilities.
- Collaborate with the Community Editor to regularly host listening sessions aimed at gaining a deeper understanding of equity and justice issues that are significant to diverse communities across the Commonwealth.
- Produce content regularly and proficiently across various platforms, such as web, radio, digital video, newsletters, etc., collaborating with other beat editors or show leads when necessary.
- As required of all GBH News journalists, cover general assignment reporting for the newsroom as needed.
In this role, you will be a key member of our cross-platform team, bringing your journalistic expertise to deliver impactful stories, engage with diverse communities, and champion issues of equity and justice in Massachusetts. Your ability to balance immediate news needs with long-term assignments and projects will be essential to our mission.
- Demonstrates solid news judgment and the ability to effectively prioritize tasks when faced with competing developments.
- Exhibits a strong commitment to journalistic ethics and integrity.
- Possesses excellent writing and persistent reporting skills to deliver high-quality stories.
- Proficient in breaking news reporting and delivering exclusive scoops.
- Can perform well under pressure and meet tight deadlines without compromising the quality of work.
- Demonstrates strong interviewing skills, ensuring thorough and insightful coverage.
- Works effectively as part of a team, fostering a collaborative environment.
- Experienced in both quick-turn and longer-form/feature reporting, contributing to special multi-part series.
- Has experience with reporting using digital video, staying updated with current trends.
- Shows an interest in engaging the audience and creatively addressing issues from a grassroots perspective.
- Enthusiastic about working in a cooperative and evolving multiplatform newsroom.
- Proficiency in speaking more than one language is a valuable asset
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience required
3-5 years of experience as a reporter
At least 2 years of experience covering issues of race, class or equity
2+ years doing data-driven or investigative journalism
A solid track record of enterprise, exclusive and breaking news reporting
At least 2 years of experience reporting on two or more platforms – radio, web, social video, podcast etc.
Show hosting experience a plus
Experience with digital video
CWA Local 1400 union position
Boston, MA/1 Guest Street