GBH News is transforming into one cohesive, audience-focused, multiplatform news organization that tells the most interesting and distinctive local stories of the day. Our journalism is infused and informed by the diverse communities we serve. We are among the fastest-growing local news providers in Greater Boston and draw on the talent of a multiplatform newsroom that includes radio (89.7 FM); television (Ch. 2); and digital reporting. Our goal -- through in-depth, high-quality journalism -- is to inform, educate, and enlighten our audience and build a collaborative newsroom culture.
The American Dream is unreachable and far out of focus for too many in one of the wealthiest nations in the world and in one of this country’s wealthiest states. As its population diversifies, equity gaps in Massachusetts are also growing, especially along fault lines of race and class.
GBH News is deepening its capacity to report on systemic barriers disproportionately blocking marginalized communities from thriving in the Commonwealth with the creation of a new Equity & Justice enterprise reporting unit that is steeped in community engagement, data, and a focus on both problems and solutions. This grant-funded unit will operate alongside and in collaboration with other tentpole areas of focus in our newsroom -- politics and civic engagement, education, investigations and impact, and long-form feature storytelling.
- Collaborate to make thoughtful and well-informed decisions regarding story assignments to reporters to produce impactful and distinctive coverage.
- Edit a range of stories, including features, daily news, and breaking news, ensuring high-quality content.
- Effectively manage deadlines and the distribution of feature and news stories across multiple platforms, working closely with other editors and show leads.
- Develop and plan long-term projects and comprehensive series on significant issues.
- Collaborate with external partners and collaborators to expand the reach of our storytelling, engage diverse audiences, and amplify our features work.
- Monitor deliverables related to equity and justice grants and assist in the development of reports and applications for senior leadership and key stakeholders.
- Partner with the community editor to host listening sessions throughout the greater Boston area and occasionally organize journalism-related events.
- Actively participate in newsroom leadership meetings and contribute to day-to-day operations, helping to shape the overall strategy and culture of the newsroom.
In this supervisory role, you will lead a cross-platform team, fostering a culture of inclusion and excellence while overseeing story assignments, editing, and the distribution of impactful content across various platforms at GBH News. Your role will be instrumental in achieving our goal of reaching diverse audiences and producing high-quality journalism.
- Demonstrates strong news judgment and possesses a deep understanding of the elements that make a compelling story
- Exhibits a strong commitment to journalistic ethics and integrity
- Comfortably manages both short- and long-term deadlines while effectively prioritizing competing tasks.
- Possesses a deep understanding of digital, radio, and TV platforms and the ability to edit content across these verticals.
- Collaborates effectively with team members to bring out reporters and editors' best work and storytelling.
- Demonstrates strong research skills and the ability to report using data tools to enhance content quality.
- Exhibits excellent communication skills and provides strong leadership within the team.
- Proficiency in speaking more than one language is a valuable asset.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience required
10+ years experience as a journalist
5 years experience leading, assigning or editing reporters and/or producers
At least 3 years of experience editing or reporting for two or more platforms – radio, web, television, podcast etc.
2+ years experience doing collaborative journalism that engages diverse sources and audiences
A solid track record of developing distinctive, enterprise and exclusive stories
Boston, MA/1 Guest Street