The Report Host II oversees content and production elements during WGCU broadcast programming.
Florida Gulf Coast University is committed to establishing and maintaining an inclusive working and learning environment in which students, faculty, administrators, staff, curriculum, social activities, governance, and all other aspects of the campus life reflect a diverse, multi-cultural, and international worldview.
At FGCU, we collectively stand against any individual or group that practices any form of racism, discrimination, intolerance, hate expressions, or disrespect. We are committed to preparing students to understand, live among, appreciate, and work in an inherently diverse country and world made up of people with different ethnic and racial backgrounds, religious beliefs, abilities, ages, gender identities, sexual orientations, socio-economic status, cultural traditions, family statuses, and military backgrounds. FGCU strives to hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our University stronger. The University community recognizes the importance of a diverse and inclusive institution and holds these ideals as paramount for the current and future success of the institution.
We seek colleagues who promote and embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion. We encourage individuals from diverse backgrounds to apply for this position as we believe that our University will grow and move forward through a commitment of equality for all.
Typical duties may include but are not limited to:
• Prepares and delivers news, sports, and/or weather reports, gathering and rewriting material so that it will convey required information and fit specific time slots.
• Covers and reads breaking news on-air to inform audiences of important events as they happen and produces and reads regularly scheduled news breaks, in-show forward promotion (news only).
• Reads news flashes to inform audiences of important events.
• Creates multi-platform treatments from stories whenever appropriate.
• Identifies stations, and introduce or close shows, using memorized or read scripts, and/or ad-libs.
• Selects program content, in conjunction with producers and assistants, based on factors such as program specialties, audience tastes, or input from the public.
• Studies background information in order to prepare for programs or interviews.
• Comments on music and other matters, such as weather or traffic conditions.
• Interviews show guests about their lives, their work, or topics of current interest.
• Hosts civic, charitable, or promotional events that are broadcast over television or radio.
• Makes public appearances on behalf of WGCU Public Broadcasting at various events in the community.
• Serves as essential personnel and provides assistance in the event of an emergency on campus.
- Discusses various topics over the telephone with viewers or listeners.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in an appropriate area of specialization.
Four years of professional, full time experience in broadcast news, public radio field reporting and interviewing.
Any appropriate combination of relevant education, experience, and/or certifications may be considered.
Experience with public broadcasting, audio digital editing, FTP for audio production purposes, and field recording.
Superior on-air voice quality and network quality hosting.
Master’s degree from an accredited institution in an appropriate area of specialization.
Experience participating in on-air membership campaigns.
Bilingual in English and Spanish.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Knowledge of policies, procedures, and guidelines established by professional organizations and/or governing agencies.
Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods, including alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
Skilled in the use of journalism principles and techniques.
Network quality news writing, reporting, digital recording, and production skills.
Strong organizational skills and an ability to prioritize and complete simultaneous projects within deadlines.
Skill in current digital audio editing, video desktop editing, and general desktop software applications including those that create original data journalism stories.
Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
Ability to thrive in an organization that values the diversity of its student body and workforce and actively promotes equity and inclusion.
Ability to work collaboratively and build strategic relations with colleagues, coworkers, constituents, and the general public.
Ability to collect, analyze, organize and present information in a meaningful manner.
Ability to be comfortable using microphones, portable recording devices for audio, video and radio studio production equipment.
Salary Range: $42,000-$50,000 annually
Please visit https://fgcu.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/eaglejobs/job/Main-Campus/Reporter-Host-II_R0002131 to apply.