As part of the “Supporting Healthy Stations Spectrum Auction Planning Initiative,” CPB is holding a series of webinars to help stations understand and prepare for the FCC’s spectrum incentive auction and subsequent repacking. The initiative provides information and resources to help station managers and governing bodies develop strategies and make decisions that are best for their communities to preserve and advance public media for future generations, and to communicate with their stakeholders.
All CPB webinars are archived and available for viewing on the Station Management Center website. In addition, select webinars are available for viewing directly from CPB’s website. Please see links below for webinars that are available here.
- “FCC Post Auction Station Repacking”: As public television stations continue to work on implementing channel repack assignments, we know that a number of questions and challenges have arisen in recent months. The national organizations have been working closely with the FCC Incentive Auction Task Force to ensure that reimbursement funding is disbursed as quickly as feasible and that individual station questions about repacking requirements are addressed. APTS, CPB, and PBS hosted this webinar specifically for member stations to ask their questions directly to the FCC staff who are leading this work. You can view the presentation deck, and the full recording of the Webinar is available through the Station Management Center site.
- “Translators in a Post-Spectrum World: What Happens Next?” focused on implications for translators and included the overall repacking timetable, special filing windows, and discussion of T-Mobile’s reimbursement plan. (Archived: "Translators in a Post-Spectrum World: What Happens Next?")
- “Spectrum Auction Repacking” included an overview of the repacking process, FCC reimbursement and what public television stations can start doing now to be prepared. (Archived: “Spectrum Auction Repacking”)
- “Spectrum Auction Communications” offered updated ideas for communicating with key stakeholders, the community and the media.
- “Auction Mechanics” covered spectrum auction timeline and procedures, detailing how the auction will work, from station participation options to bidding procedures.
- “Communications Tools for Talking about the Spectrum Auction” featured communications staff from CPB, PBS, and APTS discussing ideas for communicating with key stakeholders, the community, and the media.
- “Anti-Collusion and Antitrust Restrictions on Spectrum Auction Communications” featured legal experts discussing the spectrum auction antitrust restrictions and anti-collusion rules.
- “How Station Strategic Plans Influence Auction Planning: Stories from the Field” featured public television station general managers and board members discussing how the auction fits into their strategic plans, as well as a discussion on auction and strategic planning.
- “Key Considerations for UHF-VHF Swaps and Channel Sharing” featured expert advice for stations exploring the option of moving from UHF to VHF or entering a channel sharing arrangement.
- “Q&A with the Experts” featured expert answers to questions regarding the FCC auction process, channel sharing, future broadcast standards, UHF and VHF engineering considerations, and other technical and financial issues.
- “CPB System Support and Grant Program” featured an update on FCC auction procedures and CPB’s Spectrum Auction Planning Grant Program and other resources.
- “What Is My Spectrum Worth?” focused on factors stations should consider when thinking about the “value” of their stations and spectrum.
- “Spectrum Auction: The Big Decision” included context regarding emerging technologies and alternate distribution platforms, as well as a Wall Street perspective on the value of broadcast television spectrum.
For questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.